Existe "eat off" no AmE?

2 19
Lendo meu livro, de novo..., me deparei agora com "and sit by you at your litle table, and eat off your little golden plate".

Procurando no McMillan e no Meriam-Webster não achei sequer fichado eat off, mas encontrei duas explicações quanto a tal phrasal verb.
Ref. phrases.org
Ref. forum.wordreference

O que acaba por me intrigar é SE existe tal phrasal no AmE por conta da primeira explicação ser de um britânico, supostamente... - (.org.uk)
Contexto: The frog answered, "I do not care for your clothes, your pearls and jewels, or your golden crown, but if you will love me and let me be your companion and playmate, and sit by you at your litle table, and eat off your little golden plate, and drink out of your little cup, ...

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
  Resposta mais votada
2 22 127
Yes, we say eat off in AmE. Off in this case just references the surface off of which you are picking up the food to eat it.

Here's a couple other references:

Ref. english.stackexchange
Ref. italki

In the second one, one poster mentions a pretty common expression: "Her kitchen is so clean that you can eat off the floor."

It's possible to reference other things being so clean you can eat off them, such as the counter-top or the tabletop, or even the toilet...
By the way, Bryan, Thomas, Mary Ziller and company, where art thou? Help us now, please!
De férias!
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
It seems like it is more usual in the UK than in the US, but the meanings are understood in the both sides of the pond.
Meanings, because "eat off" can be used in more than one sense:
The ferocious bear ate off the tourist's arm. (comeu o braço "completamente", mas também "arrancou o braço" pra comer).

As you might have seen elsewhere on the Wordreference discussions it came up the slogan of a food company that is "eat your fingers off"

Eat your fingers off -
Uma "wordplay" pois pode significar "você vai comer tudo que estiver nos dedos completamente - não vai ficar nada nos dedos. Mas também poderia muito bem significar você "vai comer até os dedos"
Tal como o famigerado urso, você vai esquecer que os dedos são parte orgânica do ser humano e vai comê-los!

In the sense of "finishing off the plate" or "eat off" with "off" meaning "completely'/whole" it seems (but it´s my impression here) it is less used in America.

So, to an American it would be more likely "the polite bear ate off the tourist's plate. (The bear ate food that was on the plate.)
Anyway, there is at least one case the Americans remember of "eat off", with food contests to see who eat the quickest and/or the most. So, it might have to do with finishing it off OR slightly suggesting that plus eating "with violence/quickly" somehow". It could mean both: "comer tudo (todo tipo de comida na mesa)/comer tudo, sem deixar nada (mesmo que seja apenas um tipo de comida).
But I may (or may not be) mistaken, sometimes English can be tricky!
That´s all for the time being. I´ll leave the ball on your court, American English experts. ;-)

By the way, Bryan, Thomas, Mary Ziller and company, where art thou? Help us now, please! :-)
6 49 1.3k
While at it...

Eat off - slangy way, according to Urban Dictionary means to steal or take something away (from someone else) without permission.
2 19
Realmente se faz necessário
By the way, Bryan, Thomas, Mary Ziller and company, where art thou?
Estranho pelo livro ser um livro americano sobre os contos do irmãos Grimm e usar uma expressão que também me pareceu ou incomum para o americano comum ou realmente importante no momento de se traduzir um livro de nicho e mostrar o conhecimento do tradutor em se usar diversas expressões

Aqui jaz o contexto completo:
IMG-20191226-163019606-2.jpg
6 49 1.3k
Let´s not be so hard on the translator, it´s not the end of the world man! He hee! I wrote that in jest, mock despair, the concepts presented in the book aren´t that hard to understand.
It just takes a while. After all, English is easy but not effortless.
There is also also the fact of our limited knowledge (I am a basic level learner on certain topics and intermediate or almost upper intermediate on others - I think). This I must admit even to myself.
Thus, it is always good to have some kind of confirmation plus new insights from advanced learners, from natives, from people with knowledge of both languages, and the list of hands to help would go on and on.
Indeed there´s an English literature syllabus, and a core of books to read, classical or very important to grasp cultural notions and others insights.
One likely reading is the Grimm Brothers stories because they are of the "fairy tales" sort, which was soon known and translated worldwide.
Perhaps the average American (of old perhaps) knows such concepts because he has to read some books in high school education, but with time many a student would get rusty. Until they get to some university, mostly at BA courses, or related ones.
Obviously, from time to time, they come up with some strategies to get people educated in some matters, like the Circle of Books (reading clubs) - to get people in general educated in reading or the creation of the National Geographic magazine (to get them educated in Geography, or at least they try to).

Back to the crux, in general ways the current book you are reading isn´t challenging, maybe some little bits. Some things you don´t know you can deduce from context - through some background knowledge.
Don´t be so hard on yourself, or anyone else just for one or two seemingly difficult part of a book. More so with the classics.

Finally, and on second thought, I think it could be:
but if you will love me and let me be your companion and playmate, and sit by you at your litle table, and eat off your little golden plate, and drink out of your little cup,
Mas se você me amar e deixar-me ser seu amiguinho e companheiro, sentar ao seu lado na mesa e comer do seu prato (do que estiver no prato) e beber no/do seu copo.

Como deduzí? Pela segunda parte "...and drink out of your cup"
Drink out of the cup- would mean rather than pouring it into the cup (it suggests that the liquid/drink is already in the cup.) another example "drinking milk out of the cartoon" rather than pouring it into a glass. You get the idea.
And again, this one concept is also understood by speakers of English of both sides of The Pond as well.
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
6 49 1.3k
Boa férias Bryan! Thanks for your invaluable insights on that one.