Gloat e Boast são sinônimos?

Hello dear all,
This is my first time in here. I have been reading the emails and it has just been impossible to stop, due to the amazing and endless curiosities.

Anyway, I am going to be sitting the CAE next month, so this site will be so helpful to me. And I just hope to be able to help as well, as much as I can.

I am a bit fussy about all and any detail, so can you imagine how pick I am regarding the synonyms?

If I can exploit all my new friends from here, then there it is:

Can I replace the verb "gloat" by "boast", and vice-versa?

Thank you very much endeed, and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Anúncio Você tem medo de falar inglês? - Se você já estudou inglês mas ainda se sente inseguro(a) saiba que o primeiro passo é se expor ao idioma. Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor de inglês nativo, você vai se surpreender o quanto isso pode fazer a diferença.

Começar agora!
3 respostas
Donay Mendonça 22 102 1.5k
Hello Andressa,
I think you can,I have the impression that "gloat' is a little bit more emphatic...shows more of its negative aspect than boast...that´s the impression I get.
Good luck...."There´s no knowledge that is not power"...

Welcome....
I would like to know if we could somehow classify:

Astonish;
Astound;
Stun;

Thx
Dear all,

I am still waiting for stun, astonish and stound.

But for now I would need to know which one is more suitable for people and animals: drool or slobber.

thx
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!