"He or her" x "He or she": Qual é o certo

Take a look at this video guys:
At 1:17 Bush says: "You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."

My question is: Is there any reason that made Bush use "he or her" instead of "he or she"? I've never seen "he or her" before. Isn't that grammatically wrong? Would it be more correct if he had said "he or she"?

Thank you in advance! ;)

PS: I don't know why the original poster of this video put that red box all over it. If you want to watch the video without that red box, just save it on your computer.

Anúncio Você tem medo de falar inglês? - Se você já estudou inglês mas ainda se sente inseguro(a) saiba que o primeiro passo é se expor ao idioma. Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor de inglês nativo, você vai se surpreender o quanto isso pode fazer a diferença.

Começar agora!
3 respostas
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
Mr. Bush obviously made a grammar mistake. He should have stated, "... he or she..."

Some people say former president Bush would make some very bizarre, weird statements/remarks, which the media hastened to make public. Some of these sounded rather controversial, some sounded hilarious, and again the media hastened to make them public.

Now Mr. Bush no longer presides over the US. Others will come in his wake; others will simply come and remain awake at the fact others didn't wake up.
ailime 1
That's the famous "Bushism"

Bushisms are unconventional words, phrases, pronunciations, malapropisms, and semantic or linguistic errors that have occurred in and defined the public speaking of former President of the United States George W. Bush and, much less notably, of his father, George H. W. Bush. (Wikipedia)

During these last few months I've been trained by Al-Qaeda...
I call for nation to stop the terrorist killers...
...Is our children learning?
...working hard to put food on your family
...take time to restore caos..
They misunderestimate me.

LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I commited any mistake, please feel free to correct me.
ailime 1
Sorry...
Typo. It´s : They misunderestimated me.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!