Learn x Study x Teach: Como utilizar

Hi there :)
This is my first post, actually I've just joined xD. I don't know how's the right way to describe that u r learning something. Some people told me that I gotta use "teach myself", "I teach english myself", some use "I study english myself". I've heard that "learn myself" is wrong.

I learn english (by?) myself. / I study english (by?) myself / I teach english (by?) myself.
I've been learning english (by?) myself for 2 years. / I've been learning english for 2 years.
I've been teaching english (by?) myself for 2 years. /
I've been studying english (by?) myself for 2 years.

I need some help :)

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
RodrigoJL escreveu:Hi there :)
This is my first post, actually I've just joined xD. I don't know how's the right way to describe that u r learning something. Some people told me that I gotta use "teach myself", "I teach english myself", some use "I study english myself". I've heard that "learn myself" is wrong.

I learn english (by?) myself. / I study english (by?) myself / I teach english (by?) myself.
I've been learning english (by?) myself for 2 years. / I've been learning english for 2 years.
I've been teaching english (by?) myself for 2 years. /
I've been studying english (by?) myself for 2 years.

I need some help :)
Olá Rodrigo
From what you´ve written above, I´d say you´re a very good, self-sufficient learner!

You can say the following:

WITH TEACH:
1. I teach myself.
2. I teach myself English. OR: i teach English to myself.
("I teach by myself" and "I teach English myself" have other meanings -- see explanation below)

WITH LEARN: (You can teach yourself, but you cannot "learn" yourself)
1. I learn by myself
2. I learn English by myself (the inverse is not possible here)
(See below for "I learn myself.")

WITH STUDY:
1. I study by myself.
2. I study English by myself. (again, the inverse is not possible)
(See below for "I study myself")

There is a logic to this.

1. "I teach by myself" means that I am the only instructor teaching others. Ex: In this school some classes are taught by two teachers at the same time, but I teach all my classes by myself." So if you say it that way, you are saying something other than what you intended. Same thing if you say "I teach English myself." You´d use that to mean "E eu ensino inglês," answering somebody who might have said "I teach German."

2. You can´t say "I learn myself," unless you are attempting to understand who you are: "Know thyself," as it was written on the entrance to the temple at Delphi. (Admittedly, it´s an odd way of saying "I´m learning who I am.")

3. For the same reason, you wouldn´t say "I study myself," unless you mean to say that you are studying your own nature, or your actions. (Again, "I´m studying who I am" would sound less insane.)

4. You could say "I learn / study on my own." Either one means you´re doing it for your own education. But not "I teach on my own," which conveys the idea that you are an independent teacher, teaching others.

So it´s not just an issue of correct grammar here, but of the meaning you intended.
Hi Henry :D
Thx a lot.
Today's afternoon, I was chatting with some people in a English/Portuguese Chat Room, and a guy came up with "I teach English by myself", I asked him if he meant to mean that he study English by himself, and he said yes. It sounded strange, but I was not sure. But now I figured this out, of course, with ur nice explanation. Ty.
So, I've been teaching myself English :mrgreen:
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Olá Pessoal,

Para complememtar:

a)Learn:Aprender
Ex:I learn English by myself.(Eu aprendo inglês sozinho,por conta própria.)

b)Study:Estudar
Ex:I study English by myself.(Eu estudo inglês sozinho.)

c)Teach:A nobre arte de ensinar.
Ex:Do you teach English?(Você ensina inglês?)
Ex:I´m self-taught.(Eu sou autodidata.)

Bons estudos
!