Caso de elipse? Ellipsis?

I was searching for information about ellipsis to better understand a phrase I've read recently.

The phrase is: "The bank informed this Wednesday (15/01) that will pay an additional US$ 5 billion." Is it wrong to leave out the "it" before "will"?

Or is it necessary to write: "The bank informed this Wednesday (15/01) that IT will pay an additional US$ 5 billion."?

The phrase was written for a newspaper article, thus formal language.

Thanks in advance!

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
3 respostas
Leonardo96 15 237
I wouldn't say it's exactly necessary. If the subject of the sentence happened to be "He" for instance, say in a sentence like "he said that would help me but he didn't" then it would be more obvious that you need to throw the pronoun in there (between "that" and "would") because it just doesn't sound right without it. But in the case at hand I would say both "The bank informed that will pay" and "The bank informed that IT will pay" work just fine.
Leonardo96 15 237
Also, it seems to me like "will" being used in the sentence rather than "is going to" is what made it acceptable for "it" to be left out. "That bank informed that will..." sounds okay, but "The bank informed that is going to..." doesn't. Not to me, that is.
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
"The bank informed this Wednesday (15/01) that IT will pay an additional US$ 5 billion."?
IT can be dropped, since it´s in the same sentence we have the subject (the bank), the pronoun after being ellipted doesn´t affect the antecedent information.
In English we need a subject to a sentence, but in this case, omitting the pronoun doesn´t amount to omitting the subject, it is there in the beginning of the sentence.
But if someone want to use IT, it would be okay, but it would be working almost as extra information (to my thinking, at least).
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!