Como dizer "Amélia" em inglês

Avatar do usuário zumstein 8635 19 256
Como eu poderia definir uma “Amélia” em inglês?

...Ai meu Deus que saudade da Amélia. Aquilo sim é que era mulher.
Às vezes passava fome ao meu lado, e achava bonito não ter o que comer... (Ataulfo Alves/Mário Lago)

Would it be: Gifted girl? (mulher prendada)
She knows how to cook, sewing, ironing... does everything without complaining. A saint.

Thanks In Advance.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
zumstein escreveu:She knows how to cook, sewing, ironing... does everything without complaining. A saint.

A saint? Wouldn't she be a maid? :D
Just joking. I have nothing against them.
And I don't know how to say that in English, I just think that "Gifted girl" can have countless different meanings... ;)
The perfect woman (wife).

According to the standards of 40 years, Amélia was the perfect woman.
Mother, woman, wife, lover, maybe she’s changed her name.
Today it must be Cíntia, Clara, Flávia...

A wife who manages a household while her husband earns the family income.

Homemaker, housewife, lady of the house, woman of the house...
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Melhorou um pouquinho, rs! ;)
Avatar do usuário Daniel.S 575 1 2 5
Hi there!

maybe perfect ten

Flavia, are you a perfect ten? I've been lookin for one..rs..just kidding, you have a nice night.

Take care

Daniel
Avatar do usuário Gabi 705 1 1 13
I'd say " a dreary doting wife" if I were trying to use the "amelia" in English.

By the way, does anybody have got any idea about where this "amelia" meaning came from?
A dreary doting wife? No way! The song shows that she is happy, by making her man happy.
Answer:
- From a song in the forties (and fifties) about a man missing his late wife.

bye
Avatar do usuário Gabi 705 1 1 13
Ok, you can just get rid of "dreary"¬.. I'm sorry ,maybe it's just because when I think about "amelia" I always presume a woman in an unhappy condition, maybe quite bothered. But that's just my opinion.
But you can just say "doting wife".
This link talks about that and you can see the collocation right in the beginning of the first paragraph.
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/15039140/

I got curious about the song. What's its name , please?
Hello Gabi!
"Pretty" picture, yours.

The song name is “Ái que saudades da Amélia”.

Please enter Amélia at google, that is enough.

Kisses.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Mais uma.
Amélia - Esposa sofredora

A long-suffering wife.

If someone is described as a long-suffering wife or husband, the implication is that this person has put up with a stubborn, frustrating, or cranky spouse for many years — without complaining.
(vocabulary.com)