Correção de texto: FCE: discursive essay

Avatar do usuário Ancrispa 2555 8 57
“The advantages and disadvantages of learning English abroad compared to learning English in your own country” (discursive essay) – Flo Joe writing task of the week.

Being the lingua franca of the twenty-first century, the learning of the English language has become vital for everyone in our society nowadays. You need English for nearly everything: to send emails for a foreigner friend, to read a magazine or newspaper on internet, to take a trip to abroad, to get promoted at work, to do a master degree and post-graduation…
Having this in mind to learn English abroad in native countries such as the United States, The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand seems to be very attractive for those who need to develop their English. Indeed there are innumerous advantages in studying English in a native country: the student will be inserted in an English speaking environment and he is forced to speak and put into practice their knowledge of the language. The person has also the advantage of having a native teacher who can clarify all his doubts and speak with other foreigner students and change experiences.
On the other hand, one of the disadvantages is the high price of studying English abroad is not affordable for everyone. Moreover, if the learner is put into a class with a lot of students from his own country this also may bring some problems like the vicious of speaking in his own native language among his classmates and forget the goal of his presence there.
If we think of learning English in your own country, the advantage is that you will have similar language problems with your classmates and maybe it is a way to improve your studying sharing your doubts and learning from one another. However, the disadvantage of not being in an English environment makes the time of learning English quite extensive. Besides for many students the difficulty in thinking in English without being surrounding by the English language may bring a sort of lethargy state in his learning process.
I firmly believe that the best way of learning English, if one has condition is to study English in a native country. Unfortunately, this is a reality for very few. Thus learning English in your own country most of the times is the only way a person has.

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Telma Regina 22725 9 58 570
My considerations, Ana:

Being the lingua franca of the twenty-first century, the learning of the English language has become vital for everyone in our society nowadays. You need English for nearly everything, such as, to send emails to a foreign friend, to read a magazine or newspaper on the Internet, to take a trip to abroad, to get some promotions at work, to do a masters degree or post-graduation.

Having this in mind to Learning the English language abroad in native countries, such as, the United States, The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand seems to be very attractive for those who need it to develop their English. Indeed there are innumerous advantages in studying English in a native country, for example, the student will have to adapt to an English speaking environment and will be forced to speak and put into practice his knowledge of the language. The person has also the advantage of having a *native teacher who can clarify all his doubts and speak with other foreign students and exchange experiences.

On the other hand, one of the disadvantages is that **not everyone can afford the high price of studying English abroad. Moreover, if the learner ends up a class with a lot of students from his own country, it may also bring some problems like the vicious of speaking in his own native language amongst his classmates and forget the goal of his presence there.

If ***we think about learning English in our own country, the advantage is that we will have similar language problems with our classmates and maybe it is a way to improve our studying sharing our doubts and learning from one another. However, the disadvantage of not being in an English speaking environment makes the time of learning English quite long. Besides, for many students, the difficulty in thinking in English without being surrounded by the English language may bring a sort of lethargy state in his learning process.

I firmly believe that the best way of learning English, if one has conditions, is to study English in a native country. Unfortunately, this is a reality for very few. Thus/therefore, learning English in his own country most of the time is the only way a person can do it****.

Comments:

*This is not always the case; I know some people who studied abroad that did not have classes with real native teachers.
** It sounds better if you change the word order.
*** You start the sentence with “we”, so the correct pronouns must follow.
****Remember that there are some alternative English oriented environments, for example, some pubs in São Paulo. Some people do an official English Friday at work, when everybody tries to speak English.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39205 6 32 684
I proofread a little chunk of the text, in a little bit of haste, so it is subject to further improvement.
Comments and corrections are welcome. ;)

Being the lingua franca of the twenty-first century, the learning of the English language has become vital for everyone in our society nowadays.
You need it for nearly everything, from sending emails for a foreigner friend, to reading a magazine or newspaper on the Internet, taking a trip to abroad [I would use traveling abroad, more natural], getting promoted at work, doing a master degree or post-graduation…
[I preffer “or” to “and”, one could think a master degree could be taken at the same time. As I am not so sure...]

Having this in mind, to learn English in native countries such as the United States, The United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are attractive destinations for those who need to develop their English. [They do are attractive, bet your bottom Dollar on it. And pay your top Dollar as well...!]

Indeed there are innumerous (or “innumerable”) advantages in studying English out there: the student will be inserted in an English speaking environment and he is forced to speak and put into practice their knowledge of the language. The person has also the advantage of having a native teacher who can clarify all his doubts and speak with other foreigner students and change experiences.

Código:
Native country struck me as something with indians everywhere, in their pristine land, with that untouched greenery and blue or green waters, and all that jazz...
Normally, we say “native” to local people, and this, by extension applies to a destination where you are going (to) or when we talk about the people that speak English, comparing with “us” that are learning.
Even in such case, we would have in mind that was “the native” people, not native country.

On the other hand, one of the disadvantages is the high price of studying English abroad is not affordable for everyone.
Código:
It became run-on sentence of sorts to me, it had to stop immediatelly after the word “English”, or use other
word. Say,"that is not affordable for everyone", for instance.

Reprasing it now, “On the other hand, one of the disadvantages is the high price of studying abroad. It´s not affordable for everyone.”

Hope it helps.
Paulo

I cannot vote today because I already voted three times here.

I understood what you said. I think if I say "native English speaking countries" would fit better. What do you suggest?

Thank you very much for you valuable help

Ana
Not yet. But "in English-speaking countries'' or "with native people", or still "with native English people abroad" etc.
Those are my suggestions, however, my fave would be the first one.
One more installment. Because I am kinda pressed for time these days.
If any doubt arises, please just shout!
I do tried not to change it much, but I just couldn´t help it!

On the other hand, one of the disadvantages is the high price [I preffer -the high cost ] of studying English abroad...

Moreover, if the learner joins a class with lots of students from his own country, this also may distorts his learning, since he might be tempted to use his own native language among his classmates. And this attitude would get in the way of his English improvement, interfering negatively.

If we think of learning English in your own country, the advantage is that you will have similar problems/difficulties and challenges to those faced by your classmates; providing a way to improve your study quality, along with the sharing of answers by exchange of information.

However, the disadvantage of the English education out of an English-speaking environment makes it time-consuming. Besides for many students the difficulty of thinking in English without being surrounded by the English language may bring a sort of lethargy state in his learning process.

I firmly believe that the best way of learning English, if one has the means to study English abroad, would be in a English-speaking country. Unfortunately, only a few can afford it.
Paulo
Thank you very much for your help. I think my writing is not at the same level that is required to do the FCE exam. I’ll have to work hard, if I want to take the exam this year.

I am going to follow these instructions to improve my writing abilities:

http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/ ... iting.html

http://english-tonight.com/8-tips-to-im ... ng-skills/

Ana
Hey! don´t be so hard on yourself!
When I said "but I just couldn´t help it!" I meant "eu não consegui me segurar/não consegui me conter", it has much to with me than with the text itself, it´s a bad habit of mine. :o

First of all, congrats on your writing skills. You are doing well, you can express yourself, a sign of that is that I understood (and certainly others did too).
My corrections were meant to offer "another way", that is, they are just suggestions. Sometimes trying to make it more natural (that doesn´t always happens), and other times (I admit) I might have overdone it.
I bet you will do greatly in your FCE, and take my interfering just like an interfering (and sometimes too much of a thing).
On the other hand, studying hard and not underestimating an exam is always a good thing, taking a look at some ESL and FCE sites is a way to test oneself.
And then count on us. ;)
Oops! little correction here. :oops:
It has more to do with me than with the text itself. ;)
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!