Have: Como utilizar (avançado)

Ricardo Goulart 10
Hello friends, I've seen some points that I consider difficult, because they don't seem to be so used or it's a difficult part of English more used in formal contexts!!

So, I'd like you to help me with it:

What's the real meaning and in what context this grammar point works?

1- Have the carrier deliver the package next work
2- Have her come over for dinner tonight
3- I'll get her to eat the food on her plate
4- My boss will have me finish the report today
5- The teacher will have me turn in my homework

They are looking totally formal, but I'm not sure, I'd like some explanation about it, if you can, for sure!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!

Marcio_Farias 12510 1 23 210
Just taking a whack at it.

Have + object + bare infinitive = have someone do something (AmE).

When you have someone do something or something do something, you cause someone to do something. That means you use a causative verb. When you hear someone say something, you use a sensitive verb. When you watch someone do something, you still use a sensitive verb.

I'll have my car repaired at Joe's (repair shop). (causative) (= I'll arrange for Joe's repair shop to repair/fix my car)
I'll have Joe repair my car. (causative) (I'll arrange for Joe to repair...)
Joe's had my car repaired more than once. (causative) (Joe's arranged to repair my car...)
I heard the motor sputter as I started up the hill. (sensitive) (You got me stumped on this one. Can't seem to parse it.)

Someone else will provide you with better pointers.

Donay Mendonça 57985 22 97 1385
Olá Ricardo,

Complementando:

1- Have the carrier deliver the package next work
2- Have her come over for dinner tonight
3- I'll get her to eat the food on her plate
4- My boss will have me finish the report today
5- The teacher will have me turn in my homework

:Have e get nestes casos tem o sentido equivalente no nosso português a "mandar","pedir","falar para","fazer com que".Veja:

My boss will have me finish the report today.(Meu chefe vai me mandar terminar o relatório hoje.)
Have her come over for dinner tonight.(Fala para ela vir jantar aqui hoje à noite.)
I´ll get her to eat the food on her plate.(Vou fazer com que ela coma a comida no prato dela.)

Bons Estudos!

Flavia.lm 3960 1 9 90
Complemento:

We can use have someone do something to talk about giving instructions or orders (more common in American English).
I had my assistant type the report.
I'll have my lawyer look into it.

fonte: http://www.eslbase.com/grammar/causative

Donay Mendonça 57985 22 97 1385
Dica:

''I'm going to get married at the end of the year, so I'm having a house built.'' - Wordreference
"Eu vou me casar no fim do ano, então estou construindo uma casa.'' [mandei que construíssem]