"Like those" x "Like that" - Existe alguma diferença?

Avatar do usuário Junior Lucas 140 3
Considerem a sentença abaixo

"In city We have lots of things to do. We can go to the movie theater, we can go to malls and do a lot of things. In the countryside, however, we don't have things like that"

Eu estav pensando nesta sentença e imaginei: Se "like that" se refere a "things", e "things" está no plural, não seria correto dizer "like those" ao invés de "like that"?

Esta é uma questão sutil e me pegou na curva, mas não imagino se há erro. Sempre usei "like that" indiscriminadamente. Preciso da ajuda de vocês!

Agradeço de antemão a ajuda!

See you around folks! :D
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39785 6 32 695
And the answer is...

"Like that" is a fixed expression.
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39785 6 32 695
Okay, not so fast!
I found this discussion and it made a whale of sense.

a)
http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threa ... -like-that

======================================

That is, with more than one item (things - generally things that can of different makes, types, brands, etc) you would use "things like those".

[1]Thinks "like that" to one-item thing, and (it seems) when you are talking in a more or less abstract way. For example, to complaint about things, to talk about things in general. As in a general remark/commentary.

b) I developed one theory of my own, that is:
One way to set them apart, would be testing them for "one of those things" (if you can replace it, and think of it as being in a set of two pieces or more). Read on...

In your piece ""In city We have lots of things to do. We can go to the movie theater, we can go to malls and do a lot of things. In the countryside, however, we don't have things like that"" -to change the highlighted part by "we don´t have of those things" would seem unnatural, not advisable.
==================

c)One of the senses of "like those'', though; is to think of it as an abstract thing, wich you can´t talk about it "in a specific way", similar (but not quite the same way) to the notion explained in [1] and [a].
It´s a special case, anyway you can´t replaced by "like that".

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dict ... tish/thing

It may be a case of "practice makes perfect", people have to live with looking up the expression, almost on a case-by-case
grounds, until get used with its usage.