O que significa "leap" em Sherlock by Arthur Conan Doyle?

Hello Folks,
I was watching a British soap opera called ''Sherlock'' which is based on the masterpiece books created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle,and all of sudden I faced a scene beetwen sherlock and dr watson which has one word that I couldn't tell the meaning. The word it's Leap. As in :''Wasn't a difficult leap'' I could tell immediately from the context that It's like a guess that wasn't difficult to make. Am I right?
What the meaning of this word or expression?

Thanks in advance :)

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Thomas 14110 7 58 278
''Wasn't a difficult leap''

Not much context, but I would interpret it as meaning "Based on what was already known, it was not difficult to believe a second thing.

(1) Knowing she was Argentine, it was not difficult (it wasn't a difficult leap) to believe that she was a great tango dancer.
(2) Knowing they spoke French fluently, it was easy (it wasn't a difficult leap) to assume they enjoyed French cinema.
(3) Recalling you liked Bahian food, it was logical (it wasn't a difficult leap) to believe you would enjoy vatapa and acaraje.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 36010 4 32 631
Do you mean meanings? because there are a couple of them...and among them these ones:

Cambridge dict...
leap at sth phrasal verb
to eagerly accept the chance to do or have something
When I offered her the job, she leapt at it.

leap out at sb phrasal verb
If something leaps out at you, you notice it immediately
As I turned the page his picture leapt out at me.

=============
Don´t know about the background the word you heard, in wich setting etc...
The entries I have just let you know, could perhaps do (since, sometimes they use a word and the reader/spectator will know the meaning on some cue. What we call "connect the dots", so a word said in a terse way, summing up a sentence, a motto etc.

In addition to that, there are other possibilities:
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/leap

Among them, the concept of "run away" or "breakthrough" etc.

Who knows? without much context...
:?:
Avatar do usuário jlmmelo 2035 7 57
Mr. Thomas acertou em cheio, mesmo sem contexto. Parabéns!!! Eis mais um complemento, para um perfeito entendimento:
. . .
“An old friend of mine, John Watson.” Mike introduced the man. I looked from the phone to John and glanced at him quickly. Knew it. He’s an Army Doctor.

“Afghanistan or Iraq?” Uncle Sherlock asked him. Mike smirked while poor John just looked confused.

“Sorry?” John asked.

“Which one were you in, Afghanistan or Iraq?” I clarify Uncle Sherlock’s question.

“Afghanistan,” John looked at us, “How did yo…” just then Molly entered.

. . .
“So who said anything about flatmates?” John asked us.

“I did. We told Mike this morning we must be difficult people to find a flatmate for,” Uncle Sherlock stated while cleaning up, “Now here he is, just after lunch with an old friend, who is clearly just home from military service in Afghanistan.” He finished, putting his jacket on and handing me my coat.

“It wasn’t a difficult leap.” I added in, putting on my coat and scarf.

“How did you know about Afghanistan?” John questioned. Uncle Sherlock and I ignored his question.
. . .

Para quem quiser ler todo o e-livro acima, adaptado para a BBC, "from Scottish author and physician Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and with physician John Watson assisting him, "A Study in Scarlet": http://archiveofourown.org/works/246552 ... rs/5466803 ou todas as obras originais, no 'Project Gutenberg': http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/69
You Guys cleared up the question. Thanks (: