To press-gang - Tradução em português

In his blog, Moore comments: "There is a key difference which ministers have not spotted. When Mrs Thatcher piled up the coal at power stations until the strike began in 1984, she was not inconveniencing the public.
"In 2012, the coalition is trying to press-gang the public, without saying so, into its political battles. All those people queuing on the petrol forecourts were pawns in a government-organised blame-game."

Anúncio Você tem medo de falar inglês? - Se você já estudou inglês mas ainda se sente inseguro(a) saiba que o primeiro passo é se expor ao idioma. Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor de inglês nativo, você vai se surpreender o quanto isso pode fazer a diferença.

Começar agora!
1 resposta
Thomas 7 60 288
Usually, a press gang is a military unit under the command of an officer who is ordered to force men into military service.

Often that military service was the British navy where men were needed on warships. One of the many reasons for the War of 1812 between Britain and the USA was that British ships would board American ships at sea and "press gang" members of the crew they claimed were British citizens. In California in the 1800s, merchant ships often used press gangs to find crews for ships going to China. Since the major port was Shanghai, "To press gang" (to force someone against his will to work/to coerce) became known as "to shanghai" The usual practice was to look for "recruits" in bars, but some bar owners cooperated by putting drugs into the drinks of customers to render them unconscious. When the customers awoke, they were on ships on the way to China or some other port.

"In 2012, the coalition is trying to press-gang the public, without saying so, into its political battles."
"In 2012, the coalition is trying to force/to coerce the public, without saying so, into its political battles."
"In 2012, the coalition is trying to shanghai the public, without saying so, into its political battles."

My mother forced/coerced me into working in the kitchen.
My mother press-ganged me into working in the kitchen.
My mother shanghaied me into working in the kitchen.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!